Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Final Frontier

There are loads of different ways to lose weight... some drastic, some laughable... but they all work for some people.  I have 21 days until my life changes forever... in a good way.  How did I come to this decision?  Well... honestly? I've been toying with the idea of signing up for a medical weight loss program with Kaiser for years.  In 2006 when I first checked it out (not very in depth) when I tipped the scale at 280lbs, I went with Weight Watchers instead.  It really seemed like a more cost effective approach and my dr recommended WW over anything else.  It went fine for awhile... and then it slowly dwindled to not working.  I know the flaw wasn't necessarily with the program but after really only about 20-30lbs in over a year of counting points.... it starts to get a little old.... I hit -50lbs only because my dr gave me an appetite suppressant.  I also stopped eating any sugar and processed grains etc.  Of course I lost loads... but that's just a short term answer and then not having a support group with it?  A bit of  a disaster really.

So... now... here we are again in the waining months of 2012.  I've had lower back pain for awhile... mainly after my car accident in 2010, but still issues where i just feel like i need to pop my lower back to feel better.  It finally got so rough after I can't remember what... but I went to see a chiropractor.  I got almost immediate relief... I hadn't realized how much pain I was really in.  He did a few x-rays and determined that I had the start of a disc issue in my lower back and he recommended I see him three times a week for the next two weeks to work at fixing it.  The cost was roughly $50/visit.  I thought it sounded reasonable (what I thought it'd cost anyway).  When I reported back to the husband he didn't like the idea but also pointed out that even if I went and got this taken care of, with the extra persons worth of weight on me (my words not his) it was really just a temporary fix and would eventually act up again.... so...being in pain and uncomfortable after a few days from my last adjustment I decided to see what I needed to do. 

I looked at all the different programs that Kaiser has to offer and husband-man even researched what had the best long term success... much to his dismay the whole group therapy weight loss thing was one of the factors that promoted long term success.  He didn't get it because he'd gone w/me to WW and thought it was rather unimpressive.  We looked at the Kaiser Medical Weight Management program and I almost immediately fell in love.  It's $$ there's no denying that... BUT... fundage is saved on groceries every week.  My food is only going to be about $90/week.  I'm pretty much going to be on liquids for the next 30 weeks.  I'll be averaging about 850-900 calories a day.  I will have support group ever Tuesday and I will also have lab work and other medical monitoring checks to ensure that I am doing well. 

When I asked Hubby how he was going to help me with this, he offered to not eat at home anything that I want to eat.  He's still weight lifting so he needs as many calories as he can get, but at home he will eat whatever liquids I have, or an equivalent (we can actually by the OptiFast food via amazon) and then he will eat real food at work or when I'm out.   He's excited.

Average person loses about 45-50lbs during the first 16 weeks. 

The results not typical folks lose about 150lbs during the first 30weeks.

I'm hoping for somewhere in between.

The awesome part of this is that the classes are basically therapy for those who can't handle foods.  Helping them use food in the right way.  One of the success stories they shared at orientation stated he used to live to eat, but after the program he realized he needed to eat to live...  We all know what we're supposed to do to be healthy eat right and maintain a healthy weight... but sometimes we need more than just knowing.    They'll take the group out grocery shopping and also out to dinner once the liquid phase is done to show how to managed a normal life....

I'll find out w/in the next week when I will be doing my initial labs.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment